How is Pain and Suffering Determined with a Spinal Cord Injury?

Florida law allows injured victims to receive compensation for economic losses, like medical bills and lost wages. But the full extent of any person’s injuries goes far beyond these losses.

If you have suffered a spinal cord injury, you can also receive money for the pain and suffering that you have endured. “Pain and suffering” is an umbrella term that includes compensation for things like physical pain, inconvenience, and mental stress. After a spinal cord injury, your pain and suffering compensation could be considerable.

But You Don’t Feel Pain if You are Paralyzed, Right?

True, loss of sensation usually accompanies paralysis. But pain and suffering damages go beyond merely physical pain. The inability to walk and use your arms are serious losses that reduce the quality of a person’s life. For this reason, you are entitled to compensation for pain and suffering if you have suffered a spinal cord injury.

How Much Can You Receive?

This is tricky. When you ask for compensation for your medical expenses, you can submit all your bills and receipts for things like prescription drugs. All a jury has to do is add up the amounts.

Pain and suffering is harder to translate into dollars and cents. A jury will need to rely on its experience and ask, “How much money could compensate someone for never being able to walk again?” When disabilities are permanent, our clients usually receive much more in pain and suffering than someone who had injuries that lasted only a few months.

Are There Ways to Estimate the Amount?

Yes. As experienced spinal cord injury lawyers, we have handled many cases that have resulted in settlements or jury verdicts, so we have a sense of how much you could receive. Remember, not all spinal cord injuries are the same. Some can get better with rehabilitation, and some only affect half of the body or impair only certain functions. There are many variables to consider.

Meet with a Lawyer for a Free Consultation

If you or a loved one has suffered spinal cord damage, help is available. The team at Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum Bluestein can analyze your case and help you understand your chances for receiving compensation. All you need to do is call us, 305-371-2692.

Our consultations are free and entirely no-risk. Please avoid delay.