What Should I Do if a Loved One Suffered a Serious Injury or Death?

A recent news story from ABC 6 in Ohio has certainly caused concern in the medical community. Dr. William Husel is accused of ordering excessive dosages of pain medication for almost three dozen patients. The doses were so lethal that many patients ended up dying.

Although Dr. Husel was fired from his job, family members are justifiably outraged by the doctor’s conduct. Even if the state suspends his license, family members have still suffered a terrible loss which cannot be replaced. Their only recourse has been to file wrongful death lawsuits against the doctor.

What is a Wrongful Death Claim?

When someone injures you intentionally or negligently, you can file a lawsuit in court for compensation. If you prevail, the defendant must pay for medical care, lost wages, and other losses. However, when patients die, they cannot sue the person responsible for their death.

This is where a wrongful death claim comes in. The personal representative for the deceased’s estate can file a lawsuit which, if successful, will pay compensation to certain family members. Wrongful death lawsuits are a way to hold people legally responsible for their conduct. Although the defendant does not go to jail, they will have to pay compensation to the surviving family members.

If your loved one is still alive but injured, they can bring their own lawsuit for negligence. Meet with an attorney to discuss your options, especially if your loved one is currently incapacitated.

Has Your Loved One Been Injured?

It is not always clear whether a doctor has injured someone we care about, especially if they are sick or injured. Doctors are not quick to admit when they have missed a diagnosis or when they have provided substandard care.

In the situation involving Dr. Husel, his patients may have been so drugged that they could not communicate with family members. In this type of situation, it is hard for people to know what is happening to their loved ones.

Should You Bring a Wrongful Death Case?

Whether to file a case is difficult to decide, so you would benefit from meeting with an experienced Miami wrongful death lawyer.

At Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum Bluestein, we have made a name for ourselves by suing doctors and other medical professionals for malpractice. We have obtained millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, and we are eager to help you, too.

Contact us to schedule a free consultation by calling 305-371-2692.