Personal Injury Claims if You Were Injured as a Passenger

Many people ride public transportation to get to work, run errands, or attend school. If you have been injured as a passenger, then you might be able to receive compensation. However, you will need to take several steps to protect your rights.

At Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum Bluestein, we have extensive experience helping those injured while riding in a taxi, on a train, or on a bus. Below we identify what you will need to do in order to obtain compensation.

You Need to Identify Who Was at Fault for the Accident

In public transportation accidents, one of two parties are usually to blame:

  • The transportation company. This also includes the driver, since the employer will be automatically liable for any negligence committed by a taxi or bus driver.
  • Another motorist on the road. For example, your cab could have been rammed by another vehicle, or someone could have cut off a bus, leading to a crash.

Fault matters, since the party at fault will need to pay injured victims like you compensation. It’s okay if you do not immediately know who is to blame for the accident. Your attorney can help you figure that out by performing an investigation and requesting documents from the parties involved.

Document a Breach of the Duty of Care

A transportation company—whether it be a taxi cab, bus, or train—owes passengers a duty of care. Trains, for example, are common carriers who owe their passengers the “highest degree of care” to keep them safe. When a common carrier breaches this duty, they are negligent and are at fault for your injuries.

There are many ways that a company can be negligent:

  • An operator or driver fails to follow the rules of the road.
  • An operator or driver is intoxicated, distracted, or drowsy while operating the motor vehicle.
  • The transportation company did not adequately service its fleet, which breaks down and causes injuries.
  • The transportation company did not perform adequate background checks and hired a dangerous driver.

Hire an Experienced Attorney

If you need to sue a government entity, then you should hire an attorney experienced in the process. There will be different deadlines and more hoops to jump through. An attorney who has gone toe-to-toe with the government will carefully protect your rights to compensation.

Schedule a Consultation with Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum Bluestein

Accidents involving public transportation have unique wrinkles that are not present in other types of accidents. At our firm, we have handled many cases like these and know how to maximize the compensation our clients receive.

To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our lawyers, please call 305-371-2692 today.