Brightline trains provide high-speed commutes between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately, these trains have also been involved in their fair share of fatalities in 2017 and 2018. According to the Sun Sentinel, a Brightline train in April struck and killed a man near the Southeast Fourth Street crossing. It was the sixth fatality since the trains went into operation.
Other fatalities involving Brightline trains include:
- A man killed riding his bicycle in Boynton Beach. Video from the train showed that the man had crossed the tracks even though the crossing gates were down.
- A woman killed in November 2017 during a test run in Deerfield Beach. During test runs, no passengers are on the train.
- Another woman killed during a private test run in January 2018.
- A man killed in West Palm Beach after refusing to get off the tracks.
- A woman in Boca Raton killed during a test run.
Upon further investigation, some of these fatalities were later identified as suicides, which are unfortunate but not necessarily preventable. However, the number of fatalities has certainly risen in South Florida, which has caused transportation officials to try and increase safety. With Brightline extending service to Miami and other cities, we expect even more injuries and fatalities in the near future.
Aside from death, trains can also cause devastating injuries even when victims survive. Because of their size and speed, trains can cause more bodily trauma than a regular passenger vehicle. It is not unusual for injured victims to suffer:
- Crushed or amputated limbs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage and failure
- Back injuries
- Head injuries
- Permanent nerve damage
In addition to physical injuries, our clients often struggle emotionally, with the accident leaving scars that refuse to heal. Injured victims can expect to spend months in the hospital and face a daunting road to recovery. Many will lose their jobs since they are unable to return to work right away.
Speak with a Miami Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident, you need compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. At Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum, our team of Miami personal injury lawyers have helped countless people receive the compensation they deserve. We have recovered over $100 million for our clients, and we are eager to help you, too. To meet with us, please schedule your free consultation with one of our lawyers online or call 305-371-2692.