Early November saw a terrible crash involving an Amtrak train and a semi truck in Palatka, early in the morning. The train had been travelling from New York to Miami and was carrying 162 people when it collided with the big rig. According to First Coast News, the accident happened a little after 10:30 am near Seminole Electric. In all, a dozen people were injured, and several had to be taken to the hospital.
One of Many Accidents
The Amtrak accident is only one of several other train accidents in Florida that we have seen recently:
- In late November, a man was killed after being struck by a high-speed train in South Florida. According to the Tampa Bay Times, the man had been on the tracks when he was struck by a Brightline train. This was the 10th accident involving the line, which runs between Miami and West Palm Beach.
- Also in late November, a train slammed into a semi truck in Miami-Dade, causing the truck to leak fuel.
Although trains are generally a safe method of transportation, accidents can and will continue to occur.
Train Accident Injuries
Those riding on a train can suffer serious injuries after a collision, such as:
- Whiplash. Though most people associate whiplash with car accidents, it was originally called “railway spine” because train passengers were the first to suffer it. Whiplash involves damage to the ligaments in the neck caused when someone’s head is violently forced forwards or backwards.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Any blow directly to the head or any blow that causes the head to violently whip back and forth can cause brain damage. Traumatic brain injuries often cause confusion, impair memory and movement, and result in behavioral changes.
- Broken bones. Any bone in the body can fracture from the violence of a crash. Fractures can develop complications, such as nerve damage or compartment syndrome.
- Contusions. These deep bruises can put pressure on nearby nerves, causing permanent damage if the pressure is not released.
- Back injuries. A rider can suffer strains, sprains, or injury to the vertebrae. In extreme cases, a person can suffer spinal cord damage.
If you have been injured, get immediate medical help. The sooner you receive treatment, the faster you can recover.
Contact Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum Bluestein Today
A train accident might leave you holed up in the hospital for weeks, but you do have options for compensation. If possible, you can sue the train company or any motorist which caused a train derailment or crash.
Contact us today. We are happy to offer the public a free initial consultation, which you can schedule by calling 305-371-2692.